How to be a debt-free college graduate
Any parent who is wondering how they are going to pay for college in the next few years, stay tuned, you’ll be amazed at what I’ve recently learned from Jocelyn Paonita Pearson from The Scholarship System.
Through years of research on her own and being a debt-free college graduate, Jocelyn has come up with a system that will help any student who wants to do the same thing. You may be thinking you don’t have time for such an endeavor. But it is worth the time in dollars and cents. You can make hundreds of dollars per hour if you actually figured out the hourly rate.
Avoiding scholarship scams
Looking for college money and applying for scholarships has some pitfalls. The first and foremost are the “scholarship scams”.
Red flags include anything that is telling you it is easy, there’s no essay required, asks you to share on Facebook, sounds like a sweepstake, etc. will most likely be a scam. In reality, these type of “scholarships” are simply collecting your information to sell.
Which scholarships you should apply to and are worth your time
- Apply for smaller amounts, even if it’s only $500.
- Search for local scholarships.
- Don’t apply to scholarships that you’re not eligible for. However, if you’re not sure you're eligible or come very close, simply reach out to those on the scholarship committee and find out.
- Be sure to meet the deadline.
How to begin your search
- Start with your high school guidance office. Most have various scholarship applications.
- Google specific criteria for scholarship applications, in the fields in which you are interested. Look for associations and companies that pop up with the word “scholarship” in the URL. You may find companies that are offering a scholarship in your field of interest and they may have their scholarship app right there online.
- Ask yourself what makes me unique, what companies do I have an association with, where am I geographically, and do I have connections to church or other non-profits?
Get started with the Scholarship System
Jocelyn offers three different packages for The Scholarship Program and has written a book, The Scholarship System. Her book is available for download at her website and also on Amazon.com.
The Scholarship System book contains a 6-step course to obtaining scholarships:
- Goal setting
- What kind of loans are out there?
- What is FAFSA?
- How do you find FREE money?
- How do you make yourself competitive?
- How to save time in the process
For some students, the book alone may be all the guidance they need to landing scholarships. However, the most comprehensive parts of The Scholarship Program are available in 3 packages:
Standard package – This is a DIY package using the videos. The cost for this package is $247 with the free webinar discount.
Standard+1 – This includes the standard package plus a one-on-one with Joselyn. Also, she will do 1 essay review to see that you are on the right track. This package runs $497 with the free webinar discount.
Highest package – This includes four times as much one-on-one with Joselyn, 3 essay reviews, a lot more interaction with Joselyn and has a $1297 price-tag. This is for someone who needs more guidance and handholding to go through the process.