Say: "Hey, Siri / Alexa. Play The SavingsAngel Show Podcast."
Why September May Be the Best Month to Buy…
September can be an amazing month to save. A good number of large and small goods go on sale and clearance. Nearly any of them could make ideal Christmas and birthday gifts. So get shopping now, and you keep more of your cash, while easing your holiday budget later.
I’ve rounded up 10 things to shop and why September may be the best month to buy them.
- New vehicles. Dealerships have needed to make room for the new models coming in this month. They began last month but the sales continue throughout September. They are wheeling and dealing to move inventory (pun intended). Visit multiple dealerships and gather intel before choosing where to buy. Armed with information and pricing, you can have sales people competing for your business. Carefully choose the right vehicle and the right dealership to score a 2019 model at a lower price than even some older models still on other lots. Check out my previous article about how to spot and avoid expensive new car extras at SavingsAngel.com.
- Mattresses and bedding. Just like Memorial Day, mattresses companies and retailers love to hold Labor Day sales. The good news is, these sales tend to last longer than just the extended weekend of Labor Day. They often go throughout the week, so you can still settle into a good deal and enjoy a better night’s sleep.
- Travel. September starts hurricane season as well as the shoulder season in many travel-worthy locations. That makes it bargain time for airfare, some accommodations and even shows and tours. If you can get away in September, you can save a bundle.
- Summer outdoor items such as grills and patio furniture. The closer we get to October, the larger the discounts you’ll find on remaining stock. Plus, if you’re active military or a veteran, shopping stores like Lowe’s or Home Depot will save you an additional 10% off on top of clearance prices.
- Large appliances. Like cars, the new models come out in September so the old models need to get sold. Throughout the month, retailers will be dropping their prices. Don’t see the price you want to pay? Ask. You may be able to negotiate the deal you want if you’re seriously buying and not just browsing.
- Broadway and Off-Broadway show tickets. Broadway’s famous 2-for-1 tickets for Broadway Week is this week. If you can slip away and see a show, now’s the time to go. Broadway Week runs from September 2-16, 2019. Can’t make it to Broadway? Check out Off-Broadway’s Week, which runs from September 23-October 6, 2019. Their tickets are also 2-for-1 and go on sale starting September 9.
- Small appliances, fine tableware, linens… really, almost anything that might fall into the category of a nice wedding gift. September sees a fair share of weddings yet but the clearance sales will begin anyway, since this month wraps up wedding season. Whether it’s for your own use or to put away for Christmas gifts, birthday gifts or even next year’s wedding season, don’t pass up the opportunity to save.
- Plants and all things garden supplies. Everything from flowers to feed to sprayers will be marked down to clear out summer stock. Now is the time to replace that hose with a huge crack in it. It’s also a great time to begin cultivating an indoor container garden that you can nurture throughout winter.
- Back to School clothing. We’re talking almost all things wearable. Uniform pieces, accessories, jeans, shirts, you name it. All will be marked down as stores seek to sell remaining inventory. They need to make room for more fall fashions and cold-weather gear. Regularly comb the clearance racks both in-store and online. Think and buy ahead for spring. Use Swagbucks.com coupon codes to save even more when shopping online!
- Apple products. Apple’s annual September event(s) are expected to be held the second week of September. Typically, it’s basically one huge event, but there may be more in store this year. That’s because Apple has consistently unveiled their new watch and phones at those events however, this year, the new Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ are expected to be revealed. When exactly Apple will release all the details remains to be seen but I’m expecting a big splash once again this September from Apple.