Say: "Hey, Siri / Alexa. Play The SavingsAngel Show Podcast."
10 Freebies To Make Back To School More Affordable and Fun
With all the expenses of back to school, family budgets could use a break. To the rescue comes multiple freebies throughout August and September. I’ve rounded up 10 freebies to make back to school more affordable and fun.
- Back to school supplies, including backpacks, pencils, paper, folders and more. Throughout local communities, multiple organizations work together to provide the necessities for kids to go back to school well-equipped. Check your local traditional media as well as social media to discover places where you can get the items your students need.
- Haircuts. Although these have become more difficult to come by from national chains, I anticipate some businesses will offer them over the coming weeks. Especially watch for local businesses to offer them. At minimum, you can expect to find heavily discounted haircuts for students.
- Teacher appreciation and discounts. Although not entirely free, businesses are offering financial breaks to all teachers with a valid teacher ID. Percentage discounts and/or additional teacher rewards vary by retailer. Shop at retailers including Barnes and Noble, Dollar General, Office Depot/Office Max, Meijer, and Staples.
- National Park Fee-Free Entrance Days. There are three days still coming up to take advantage of free entrance days to our national parks. They are: Saturday, August 25, Saturday, September 28 and Monday, November 11. See https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/11-19-2018-fee-free-days.htm for details.
- Free Museum Day is Saturday, September 21, 2019. Check how to receive free admission and which museums across the nation are participating at https://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/search/?q=.
- Free bowling on National Bowling Day. Even though it is not yet available to redeem, every year https://gobowling.com/ has traditionally offered a coupon for one free game on National Bowling Day. This year, the special day lands on Saturday, August 10. In the past, the free game coupons have been valid for a few weeks, so even if you cannot go on that day, you can still take advantage of the offer.
- Free Root Beer Float Day. A&W Restaurants are combining a root beer float giveaway with a fundraiser (donation collection) for DAV (Disabled American Veterans). Enjoy this free treat while helping our American heroes on Tuesday, August 6 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. See www.RootBeerFloatDay.com for details.
- Kids Eat Free. Numerous restaurants offer free kids meals on varying days. Most require the purchase of an adult entree. But even with the required purchase, this is an easy way to save during your busiest days. Check for details, days and participation of locations near you for restaurants. Take a look at Bob Evans, Denny’s, Dicky’s Pit BBQ, Famous Dave’s, IHOP, Logan’s Roadhouse, and Steak and Shake.
- National Cheeseburger Day is Wednesday, September 18. Restaurants are expected to celebrate, as they do each year, by offering discounted and free cheeseburgers. As the day approaches, watch for offers to make an ordinary weekday delicious.
- National Coffee Day is Sunday, September 29 this year. Celebrate making it through the first weeks of back to school with a free cup of coffee. Multiple restaurants and specialty coffee shops traditionally offer free cups of on this day and I expect this year to follow suit. So watch for announcements as the day gets close to get your free pick-me-up.