Ah… Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t matter that it’s not a federal holiday. What matters is that you don’t muff it up. But when you’re out of ideas and time – what can you do? This late in the game, better plan to make up for it – unless, of course, you luck out and can do one of these before the day is through…
Quick ideas to show your love… (HINT: skip the half-dead rose and box of waxy chocolates from the gas station!):
(1) Pick up your sweetheart’s favorite piping hot coffee or cappuccino, and splurge on the treat to go with it. Don’t go cheap, either. Get the one they would never spend the money on for themselves. You know which one.
(2) Forget tradition and tune in to what they enjoy. Just because it’s Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean the gift has to be jewelry, chocolates or flowers. Never underestimate the power of a gift card tucked inside a heart-felt note. Some places carry gift cards that are valid at a wide variety of stores and restaurants (Meijer and Walgreens, to name two) so you may be able to get your choice without having to drive out of your way.
(3) Search the web for tickets to an upcoming show or concert. This can take as little as five minutes, but be a thrill to your Valentine. No need to have the actual tickets in hand yet, just print the online purchase confirmation, write a sweet nothing, and give it!
Short on cash this week? Try one of these:
(1) Surprise them by completing a household chore you don’t normally do. Then insist your sweetie take the time they would have needed to spend on it and relax instead.
(2) Finish a long-delayed household project. Pick one that’s more about hard work than cash. Repair the squeaky drawers that bug her, organize the pantry that drives him nuts. Nothing says “I love you” more than reducing your honey’s stress level.
(3) Organize time alone – either as a couple or send your love on some ‘me time’ – either way, you can write a note indicating that this is the plan, then work it out for later. This will not only earn you points, it’ll buy you time to plan the perfect, re-energizing get-away; one that makes your precious Valentine feel special and loved.
Written by: SavingsAngel Di (blog angel) on February 8, 2013.