A barrier to using coupons can be the storage of them. Without organization, finding the coupon you need, when you need it, becomes a chore. You find yourself saying, “Forget it – I don’t have time to search through all these. I’m just going shopping!” Instead… adopt a method that works for you, and stop leaving the savings at home.
Organization ideas to choose from:
(1) Whole Insert Filing: Uncut coupon inserts are filed, by date, in a filing system. All sources from the same date are filed together. Coupons are clipped only as needed. Variation: Inserts are divided both by date and source, such as filing SmartSource and Red Plum inserts separately.
(2) Collated Insert Filing: Uncut coupon inserts are collated together by identical pages, then filed in a filing system. To further organize, they can also be divided by source. Coupons are clipped only as needed.
(3) Coupons Filed Individually: Coupons are clipped right away, and filed by the individual coupon. Variations include: (1) Filed by store department (such as dairy, grocery, health and beauty); (2) Filed alphabetically by product name (an envelope or filing section is used for each letter).
(1) Trash extra pages: If filing full inserts, take a few moments to remove excess pages, such as advertisements. Removing these makes the inserts thinner and easier to handle.
(2) Remove expired coupons regularly: This will keep your coupon system clean and prevent overgrowth, speeding up weekly usage.
(3) Return clipped coupons not used at the store: If you clip, simply put them back in your system. If you file full inserts, paperclip unused ones to the correct insert. This saves future frustration over loose and misplaced coupons.
(4) Use a portable filing system: The smaller and lighter your system, the easier on yourself. A portable system can be carried to your desk to prepare for shopping, set by your favorite chair to sort for expired coupons, even ferried easily to the store for unpublished bargains.
Written by: SavingsAngel Di (blog angel) on January 18, 2013.